Wednesday 10 December 2014

2015 Screen Actors Guild Nominations

As pretty much everyone already knows, I love awards season. And between today's SAG nominations and tomorrow's Golden Globe's, I'm just really excited! So here are the Film announcements below, along with a few thoughts. 

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
  • Birdman
  • Boyhood
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • The Imitation Game
  • The Theory of Everything
The Grand Budapest Hotel! I'm seriously excited and would love if this would turn into a thing. Like a Best Picture nomination thing. Please? Anyway, I'm also glad to see Theory of Everything and Boyhood here. Both have much smaller casts but they were both really good, Boyhood especially and the performances in Theory are just too good, so I'm glad they both made it in. Will Birdman be this years American Hustle? Maybe, maybe not. Hard to see where the direction of winners will go just yet. Although, can I point out that Unbroken didn't make it in here? Very interesting... (neither did Selma but apparently screeners weren't sent out so yeah). Also, Foxcatcher, Gone Girl and Into The Woods didn't make the cut either. Interesting, interesting. 
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
  • Steve Carell (Foxcatcher)
  • Beendict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game)
  • Michael Keaton (Birdman)
  • Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything)
  • Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler)
I'm pretty excited for everybody here. I mean, I'd more excited if I had actually seen the Imitation Game and Foxcatcher (why is this not playing anywhere near me???) , but I'm still excited since I love both Steve Carell and Benedict Cumberbatch. Particularly happy to see Carell, since he seemed to be slipping. Also, I know the internet is loving Nightcrawler, a film I should probably catch, so I know people are happy to see him here. With GBH in Ensemble, I would've loved to see Ralph Fiennes here too but alas... 
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
  • Jennifer Aniston (Cake)
  • Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything)
  • Julianne Moore (Still Alice)
  • Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl)
  • Reese Witherspoon (Wild)
Jennifer Aniston? I was surprised! Will this also become a thing? Potentially? Maybe not? Somehow I don't think it will, but the Globes love celebrities so I wouldn't be surprised to see her nominated there as well. But will that equal a thing at the Oscars? Otherwise, Julianne Moore is like a big duh, as is Reese Witherspoon. I love Felicity Jones and am so happy she's finally getting the recognition she deserves. Also, Amazing Amy for the win!

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Robert Duvall (The Judge)
  • Ethan Hawke (Boyhood)
  • Edward Norton (Birdman)
  • Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher)
  • J.K. Simmons (Whiplash)
I guess Duvall is the only real surprise but apparently SAG really likes him or something so I guess it isn't overly surprising. Otherwise, Hawke, Norton and Simmons were locks so no surprise there. I know people have loved Ruffalo for Foxcatcher so it's nice to see him here. Too bad for Channing Tatum, completely missing out. 
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Patricia Arquette (Boyhood)
  • Keira Knightley (The Imitation Game)
  • Emma Stone (Birdman)
  • Meryl Streep (Into the Woods)
  • Naomi Watts (St. Vincent)
I am currently at work so I wasn't able to watch the live stream of nomination announcements so I had SAG's twitter page open. They don't specify what film/show people are nominated for so I had at first assumed Naomi Watts was up for Birdman, which I thought was a little random but not weird because I thought she was really good. But she's up for St. Vincent?? This is really, really random. I know I haven't seen it but this seems so out of the blue. Everything else was expected. As long as Patricia Arquette win, I'll be happy!
Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
  • Fury
  • Get On Up
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
  • Unbroken
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past


There you  have it! Birdman is our leader with 4 nomintions, followed by The Theory of Everything, The Imitation Game and Boyhood. All of which I approve! So Awards season has officially launched and tomorrow we'll get the Golden Globe nominations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment