Thursday 11 December 2014

2015 Golden Globe Nominations

Another day with more nominations! Today had the announcement of the Golden Globe nominees. I mean, does anyone really take the Globes seriously? I know I don't, but it's still exciting and it's fun. 
As always, I have the film nominations listed below and have included some commentary. 
Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Birdman
Into the Woods
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Pride
St. Vincent

So I think Birdman, Into the Woods and The Grand Budapest were pretty unsurprising here. I haven't really heard of Pride and St. Vincent looked so meh. I'd have preferred to see something like Begin Again or Chef in here. 

Best Motion Picture, Drama
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything


Best Director
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ava DuVernay, Selma
David Fincher, Gone Girl
Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Birdman
Richard Linklater, Boyhood

OH MY GOSH WES ANDERSON. Basically all my thoughts right now. Like, seriously, this is so wickedly cool. I love Wes Anderson and am so happy to see him here. Can this lineup repeat at the Oscars? I'd be incredibly happy with this!

Best Actor, Drama
Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler
David Oyelowo, Selma
Eddie Redmayne, Theory of Everything

Nothing really surprising here. Like, at all. Having Keaton in Comedy opens up another slot so you've got pretty much the same nominees as yesterday at the SAG. I just love that Michael Scott is probably going to be an Oscar nominee! 

Best Actress, Drama
Jennifer Aniston, Cake
Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon, Wild

Jennifer Aniston was surprising yesterday but she isn't here. Globes love nominating celebrities and if Aniston is going to get in anywhere, it would be here. Also, looking at this list (which perfectly matches the SAG Actresses) I wondered who the heck our comedy nominees would be. Also, I love Felicity Jones and Rosamund Pike. I'd love to see either of them win!

Best Actor, Musical or Comedy
Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Michael Keaton, Birdman
Bill Murray, St. Vincent
Joaquin Phoenix, Inherent Vice
Christoph Waltz, Big Eyes

Are many of these actually comedies? Golden Globes are always so weird like this. Nevertheless we have Inherent Vice actually slipping in here, a movie that just looks really weird and that i have like no interest seeing. Also this is probably the only place Big Eyes will be a thing. But yeah seriously I want Ralph Fiennes to win, I don't even care that Keaton was also fab, I'd love to see Fiennes win because he was so great. 

Best Actress, Musical or Comedy
Amy Adams, Big Eyes
Emily Blunt, Into the Woods
Helen Mirren, The Hundred-Foot Journey
Julianne Moore, Maps to the Stars
Quvenzhané Wallis, Annie

An interesting list for sure. But then I feel like this category is always random. Was Maps to the Stars and Hundred-Foot Journey comedies? But I digress, it's an odd list and I don't really have many thoughts about it. I think I'd like to see Emily Blunt win. She's kind of awesome and I like her. Good reasons to root for her, right? 

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Jessica Chastain, A Most Violent Year
Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
Emma Stone, Birdman
Meryl Streep, Into the Woods

Naomi Watts didn't make it in here like she did yesterday. I prefer seeing Chastain nominated because her movies looks juicy and awesome and she's super great and always deserves nominations. Just as long as Patricia Arquette wins. Anyone think the Globes might get really celeb-mainstream happy and pick Emma Stone? I could see it. 

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall, The Judge
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Edward Norton, Birdman
Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

Matchy-matchy with yesterday if I'm not mistaken. Again, as always, Edward Norton should be the winner here. 



Best Screenplay
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl
Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Armando Bo, Birdman
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Graham Moore, The Imitation Game

Again, so happy to see The Grand Budapest here. Actually, just all the nominees here are exciting and great choices. 

Best Animated Motion Picture
Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
The Lego Movie
How to Train Your Dragon 2


Glad to see HTTYD2 here. I love those movies. Also, The Lego Movie should be the big duh winner here. 

Best Foreign Language Film
Force Majeure
Gett
Ida
Leviathan
Tangerines Mandarinid

Best Song
“Big Eyes,” by Lana Del Ray—Big Eyes
“Glory,” by John Legend & Common—Selma
“Mercy Is,” by Patti Smith & Lenny Kaye—Noah
“Opportunity,” by Greg Kurstin, Sia Furler, Will Gluck—Annie
“Yellow Flicker Beat,” by Lorde—Mockingjay

I'm surprised that Unbroken didn't even manage to make it in here... But otherwise, I really don't care about this category. 

Best Original Score, Motion Picture
Johann Johannsson, The Theory of Everything
Alexandre Desplat, The Imitation Game
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, Gone Girl
Antonio Sanchez, Birdman
Hans Zimmer, Interstellar

All of these are such, such, such good choices. Like seriously, all of these are amazing scores and I'm so happy to see them all ehre. Johannsson's work for Theory was one of my favourite parts, BIrdman's was so original and Zimmer did something different and beautiful for Interstellar. Reznor and Ross are obviously brilliant and Gone Girl is no different. Also, can Desplat win his Oscar yet? Seriously. 


Anyway, I'm excited about the nominations, even if they don't really mean all THAT much in the end. It's fun and I'm rooting for my favourites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment